29 November 2006

Newslide

OK, so I started as a way to chart the current and future impacts of climate change on our lives. Most of this has come from links to the MSM. But even that task seems to be tough. I turn my back for two days and there's too much to keep track of. If you're into your Malthusian economics, try Thomas Homer-Dixon's column in the New York Times. This is one of those big questions: is there an environmental limit to economic growth.
A bit more accessible: Newsweek's description of how and where we might have to deal with extreme weather events. But is it just me or is Newsweek, usually a reliable sort of downmarketish Time, a bit clunky. Not only does it describe a possible temperature change of 12 standard deviations as "statistician-speak for 'holy cow!'" - but elsewhere in the issue there's also this really unfunny satire.
To round it up - a round up. Of climate change books, from Sunday's Observer. Which reminds me to namecheck Bill McKibben's article published last year (eons ago, I know) on opendemocracy.net. It's the big inspiration for this little site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home